Let's Make Something in this set of activities youth will experiment with circuitry using LittleBits modules to complete various design challenges. Participants experience important aspects of the design process, such as collaboration, brainstorming, iteration, and critique. The space in which the Maker Party takes place gives participants freedom to move around and create in a structured way.
With the final activity, participants will create a project that around a social issue such as disaster relief.
- practice the design process
- identify parts of a simple circuit for a little bits project
- distinguish functions of an output and input part in a circuit
- create a project based on a theme related to a social issue such as disaster relief
What you'll make together
Participants will learn the parts needed to create a circuit with little bits, brainstorm ideas based on an issue they learn about such as a natural disaster, sketch the project, and create it with little bits modules.
Ensure that a simple project that illustrates the use of little bits with different modules is created prior to the start of the workshop. Make sure that all material are ready (arts and crafts supplies). Make sure that you have new batteries for the projects and that all the little bits modules are available.
- What are some of the problems a community faces during a natural disaster ?
- How can members of a community help others during a natural disaster?
- How can we prepare for the eventuality of a natural disaster?
- What is a natural disaster?
- What are some examples of natural disasters?
- How can learning about electronics and technology help us prepare for natural disasters?
- construct a simple circuit with little bits?
- distinguish the difference between an output and an input module?
- brainstorm an idea for their project based on the parameters of the design challenge (disaster relief)?
- sketch the project based on brainstorming idea?
- translate their sketch to a project using the modules from little bits?
- present their project to their peers and ellicit feedback?
- visit suggested websites for resources?
- demonstrate creativity?
- work well with others?
- Little Bits modules Arts and Crafts Supplies:
- Pipe cleaners
- Styrofoam balls and cups
- Rubber bands
- Cardboard boxes
- Tape→ duct, double-sided, scotch, etc.
- Popsicle Sticks